This is a great winter warmer using spices to warm the body and increase circulation.
1/3 cup yellow split peas
1/3 cup brown lentils
2 Tbs of vegetable oil (or ghee)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ground cardamom seeds
1 tsp chilli powder
3 curry leaves (optional)
1 lge kumara, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
1 Tbs tomato paste
4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup red lentils
4 Tbs of fresh coriander
Freshly chopped coriander
1. Place peas and brown lentils in a bowel and cover with water; stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain peas and lentils and rinse well.
3. Heat oil in a large pot, add onion and garlic and cook stirring until soft.
4. Add spices and stir until fragrant.
5. Add, paste, kumara, stock, peas and brown lentils, bring to the boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
6. Add tomato and red lentils and simmer covered for about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft.
7. Stir in the fresh coriander.
8. Serve with natural yoghurt and extra coriander if desired.
NB. You may need to add more water if too dry and make sure it is on low when simmering because if you burn the bottom the whole thing will taste burnt!
By Kristie Ussher
[Former] Acupuncturist and TCM Herbalist at Ocean Acupuncture, Curl Curl